Wednesday, June 26, 2013

and Finally here it is All about kewpies part 2

Finally some time to blog ..I have been a busy busy girl..not with anything really responsible just off enjoying every second of summer time


So for my readers who read the first installment of All about kewpies this is part 2

for my 25th birthday my husband asked what Id like to go about and do ..and I said EVERYTHING but mostly the kewpie museum
So I decided to make it a very long celebration I started on Friday with early morning fishing and breakfast at braums
and Saturday I got up all excited and happy for the kewpie museum and the toy museum
it rained on the way but then stopped we were the only people touring it ...imagine that who else wouldn't want to spend there Saturday looking at kewpies?
The people running the museum very nice they could talk all day about Rose O'neill all day long
you could tell that they really enjoyed there work :)



I already had learned quite a bit about kewpies from my research but I learned a lot more interesting facts that the Internet didn't provide me with.

The first being she designed the Campbells soup kids..I always thought that they looked a bit like kewpies :)

she was ahead of her time she supported woman's rights and did ads for equal rights using her beautiful art
with kewpies she tried to get to peoples hearts and teach them that everyone was equal black or white

Here are some cute photos I took at the museum





In 1937 O'Neill returned to Bonniebrook permanently. By the 1940s she lost most of her money and her beautiful homes because of her extravagant nature, and after fully supporting her family, her entourage of "artistic" hangers-on and her first husband. The Great Depression hurt O'Neill's fortune. During that period O'Neill was dismayed to find that her work was no longer in demand. The Kewpie character phenomena, after 30 years of popularity, faded, and photography was replacing illustrating as a commercial vehicle. O'Neill decided to make another doll, eventually creating Little Ho Ho, which was a laughing baby Buddha. However, before plans could be finalized for production of the new little figure, the factory burnt to the ground. ( Taken from Wikipedia )




As you can see by the art here she wasn't all kewpies and sunshine..she was deep and sometimes dark.
My husband was amazed with this art ..It made me happy that he could enjoy the art museum to..but I think kewpies are growing on him :)






                   This is a painting of Rose and her husband very romantic :)






After looking around in the gift shop for awhile trying to decide what Josh should buy me I finally found this little guy and could not resist
they also gave me a sweet little post card of a kewpie eating a sundae :)
Finally we were off to tour the house
the original house burnt down and this is a replica with her stuff in it
apparently they say its haunted ..the paranormal society comes to stay

Here are my pictures from the house



Im in love with this lamp,Id love to have one just like it in my house :)
 Roses bedroom


 A picture of Rose and her husband
                                                      Her first easel
 A Sculpture she made along with some photos of her
                                     Outside looking around..look at the fairy houses :)        
 Her grave sad and epic to be standing right next to it.
                                          A large sculpture she made :)

                                                           The house itself BonnieBrook
 
 
another fact I learned she was friends with the artist Thomas Hart Benton who is from the town I live in the used to go fishing together.
 
That's the end of the tour
who knew that something and someone so wonderful could be from somewhere so close to where I live
kewpies had a huge impact on the entire world..who doesn't know what a kewpie is?
tell me and Ill slap them ;) just kidding
 
If your ever in the area of Branson Missouri I suggest you visit it :)
Hope I didn't leave anything out
 are some other fun things for your viewing pleasure












 
Next Ill tell you about the my trip to the toy museum :) and the rest of my birthday week

1 comment:

  1. Awwww looking at all these photos again was so sweet! Thanks for sharing all the details about your adventure to the kewpie museum. I would love to go someday. Perhaps we can visit together! ;)

    Also, that giant kewpie in the case is amazing, I totally want that lamp too AND the kewpie garter ad was hilarious! You rock! ;)

    ReplyDelete