Monday, February 24, 2014

My ultra long post about flea marketing and exploring

Over the weekend I got to enjoy myself and go to some flea markets that I hadn't been to in sometime now..
One is in my old home town and its a flea market I always went to as a kid and teenager I remember rainy days with nothing else to do so me and my mom would go into the flea market and she would look for books and dishes and Id look for toys and Nancy Drew books ..and of course she would complain every few minutes about her allergies ..and complain even more when I made me go to the basement part because she would say its gross and theres never anything and its creepy..but we always went...
and then as a older kid and a teenager me and my friends would walk to the flea market to see what we could find one year me and friend of mine named Kayla bought 80s prom dresses and wore them around town and to the movie theater.

Theres been many new owners of this flea market and several changes awhile back it had a BBQ inside it that's gone now but you can buy farm fresh eggs theres more space because its expanded into another building now...I always feel really nostalgic when I venture onto the main street of my old town and look at the Theater and all the old stores when I was little my favorite store to go to was the Variety store they had toys and lots of really cheap candy and soda I remember buying Barbie Paper dolls and Wooly Willy and lots of bubbles and rubber frogs and snakes...also another good thing was you could trade in your Tootsie roll pop wrappers with a star which was pretty neat.
It was also an old fashioned pharmacy my mom used to have to run in and my ipecac all the time because I would always eat things I shouldn't...once after watching Alice in Wonderland I went out back and ate a mushroom my mom was hanging laundry and busy so when I said one side makes you grow larger while the other makes you grow smaller she probably didn't hear..that resulted in lots of ipecac and driving on really insane roller coaster type roads until I could throw up..another time I developed at taste for orange flavored cold medicine my mom was outside painting the the garage ..she used to run a sign business and when she came in I guess I was probably covered in cold medicine and a little drunk because I consumed several bottles for it..once again a trip to the variety store pharmacy ..we also had tons of Mr Yuck stickers everywhere in the house.
The store is no longer open in its place is a music store food place that is never open...but right after High School I was walking down the street and spotted a mandolin in the window and called the number and bought it..the guy who owned the place offered to give me lessons to which I had to explain Im only buying this Mandolin because its pretty I don't want to actually learn how to play it.

Also on main is the video store I used to rent movies from vhs when I was little I rented Rainbow Brite and Pippi and Maxies World and when I got older I discovered the magic of horror movies and that place had them all from Halloween to Franken Hooker..my favorite to rent was Slumber Party Massacre though... last I knew he still carried Vhs but that was a couple years ago now.
Right by the place was a soda machine I always frequented nearly all my life I don't know why but I always insisted that my soda had to come from that machine..Id take about 8.00 in quarters and a bag and buy a ton of Mountain dew..

I guess Ill get to the part where I actually flea marketed

When I first pulled up I thought I spotted a Sun rubber Poodle squeak toy in the window so I ran in excited only to find that I was a copy cat made of concrete this has happened several times I think I spot a toy at a distance only to find its ceramic...

In the downstairs part I found this a vintage TMNT Cake pan which Josh had one year for his birthday as a kid..his grandma being the ultra cool grandma she is made him for cakes and just colored them differently and changed the named on the belt.


 I found this guy in the upstairs section he was actually on sale and already very cheap he is in great shape and so soft and cuddly :)
 The next is a Sad Dog bank that I found in the corner on the floor downstairs and gasped OMG! and I of course had to buy it-Josh has one that he has had all his life his isn't as in good as shape as this but it holds sentimental value this one is going into Merrills Shop also it still has its plug which is rare when it comes to piggy banks :)
 in the downstairs part I found this I have sold one like it before though this has some discoloration I think it will still sell just fine vintage Tupperware has its charm.. My parents had one of these my entire life so Im fond of this type of stuff.
 This little doll I don't know anything about her....
 a couple of uneeda Pee wees and another doll
 and this guy Josh picked him up excitedly and said I found a squeaky to which I replied I already have him..and he said no you don't not in this color yours is green and I said no its yellow and he said no its green..so I gave up and got it..I got home and mine was yellow but this is in slightly better shape when it comes to the eye color so Ill keep this one and put the other up for adoption.


At the counter the lady looked at our stuff and said this is all 80s and 90s stuff ( though some of its 70s ) and she looked at us and said your to young to be 90s children to which we replied we are 25 and 27 she looked shocked..I take that to be a good sign :)


Off we went in the direction of Arkansas to go to a few little flea markets
the first one we stopped at

I found this vintage pound kitty or pound purries :)

 This vhs it looks promising Ill watch it first of course to make sure it works.

 and this Kewpie ..see a kewpie buy a kewpie ( my rule )



I spotted a few other things of interest a Sun rubber Donkey that I have wanted for ages I got excited when I spotted him but he was hardened and 30 some dollars also he had a horrible weird rust coloration on him..so I passed I can get one in good shape for about that price on ebay..

I spotted a dreamland creations pajama baby also in bad condition and a Alan jay praying boy in simi bad condition his hair mostly..they weren't cheap..it was like the land of over priced and shitty ( I cant think of another word that works for this ) squeakys. kind of disappointing really..
Josh started complaining he was hungry we were no where near a food place..
we went to the next flea market it had nothing and I declared the day of flea marketing over and we decided to go in search of food and then spend the rest of the day exploring...
we found ourselves at sonic with unhealthy food and then went went to a few places.

Crystal lake being of interest to me because its the same name as the Lake in Friday the 13th so I of course used my imagination to conjure up Jason everywhere I looked ..and heared whispers of "Kill her mommy kill her"

Next we went to a park that had this funny sign Swim at your own risk ..I hope you can see clearly in the photo that there is like no water just a small bit of a mud puddle so I found it humorous.
 I have a thing about old falling apart buildings this used to be a flea market and I can tell its still full of stuff..makes you wonder what kind of treasure lurks within its crumbling walls.

All along these roads are old fallen in buildings and burnt out buildings motels and old houses its interesting I wasn't able to get a very good picture of many of them because there was almost always a car behind us..Ill try again sometime.
 Next we went to the old cave house in Noel Missouri my dad once told me that a hermit lived there with his goats...
Noel is a pretty place full of rivers and caves everywhere you look..but the people are terrible they really are it used to be a resort town..you can read about it on Wikipedia famous people used to go there when they filmed the movie Jesse James that's where the stars stayed Henry Fonda and Tyrone Power and Randolph  Scott ..that movie is also how Dabbs Greer got his start ( he was the preacher on little house on the prairie  and he was in the Green Mile ) he is from my old home town and buried there.


                                                Right by the cave house the river.


 
After exploring the cave house it started to get dark so we headed home hopefully Ill go out that way again next week to explore.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Sounds like you had a blast! I love the things you found and wish I could also adventure with you someday. Looks like there are lots of neat places around you. I rarely see old homes like that, much less caves or crystal lake! Sounds amazing!

    I also really enjoyed hearing about your history with that thrift store and all the things you remember about it. Sounds like your mom had a handful though.... such a bad girl eating strange mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love adventures :) and I always did really weird things after watching Disney movies that had a bad effect on me.

      Delete
  2. What a great day of fun! And funny you should mention Tyrone Power! He was like the Brad Pitt of the 40s!

    ReplyDelete