Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween reads





Only a few more days till Halloween...Towards the end of September I dug out some of my favorite scary stories or anything with a Halloween theme.





Last year I missed out on reading one of my childhood favorites Scary Stories to read it the dark because I had lost it somewhere I spent a year searching for it and couldn't find it and it was the wonderful Treasury that Josh had gotten me for Christmas one year
I didn't want to miss out on reading it out loud to him this Halloween so I had him order a replacement on Amazon and it was actually pretty cheap.

Heres how the books originally came ( paperback ) and how I first discovered them in fourth grade at quiet reading time.

 This is the version I have its a big hardcover book with all of the stories and the classic art work
they unfortunately have changed a lot of it for some reason.


 This story is one of the scariest its about two men who are bored and decide to build a scarecrow they are cruel to it and comes to life and skins them and hangs them on the roof.

This one is a story I always thought was funny because its about parents who go on a trip to mexico and instead of getting there kid something normal for a gift like Mexican jumping beans or a paper mache donkey they find what they think is a dog and bring it back ( isn't that illegal ? ) and it gets sick so they take it to the doctor and he tells them its a sewer rat with rabies..

The stories in these books are great the writer gathered urban legends from all over and he even got some from my home town and areas around me.



Next up is something else that I enjoy from my childhood ..I remember as a kid my mom got it into her head that these books are bad....its funny because they are pretty lame.





This is one of my favorite Agatha Christies not only does it have a Halloween Party going on at the beginning of the story but it has two of my favorites Poirot and Ariadne Oliver ( not sure if I spelled her name right ) its a great book...Plus look at the cover :)



2 comments:

  1. I always loved scary stories and goosebumps when I was growing up. Sadly, I gave them all away at some point (probably during one of my moves in college) and I kind of wish I had kept some... or at least tried to sell them to people that would love them too. sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no :( You can always buy them back again Amazon has a cheap treasury of Scary Stories just make sure you get the one with the original art work and not the new..( parents complained about the old art work )

      Delete