Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Remembering childhood through books1

Today I was getting some childrens books ready to sell that I found over the weekend.
When I decided to sit down and read one of them the "Wishing Tree" the book touched my heart and made me cry it also inspired me to do this post about books I loved when I was little books I still love to this day.


I could resist including a picture of me when I was a tiny tot reading a book :)
I cannot remember a day in my life that I didnt love books.
So many people these days are putting down the good old hard cover for a kindle its like betraying a friend..my mom even got one the other day.
How could she it wont have the same feel or smell or comfort about it.. and you cant sit in the bathtub with it....atleast you shouldnt.

Most people when they get older throw out or get rid of there old childhood books for new more grown up books but I was never able to do that and I never wanted to.
My mom told me to never grow up and that was just fine with me she read to me until I was 18 and if I wanted to go over there right now for a cup of tea and a good story I could :)
Thats just always how it was im a lucky girl to have such a wonderful mom.
I also liked to read to her I remember reading Scary stories to her all day while she was sick or Nancy drew or Holes and Waste Side School is falling down



The lorax is a wonderful book I like what it is trying to teach and I also love how colorful it looks.
Its one of my husbands favorites and also the first gift I got him when we were dating
We went to the mall and split up so he could get me a gift and I went into the book store and got this for him and when he came back with my gift ( from victoria secret ) he got me a nightie and I got him a childrens book we are funny he said why did you get me a gift its not my birthday? and I said its a just because gift he said..whats a just because gift and I said just because I love you and its not my birthday either and he said but your a girl and I love you.
His mom was really confused she asked why he had a childrens book when he was almost 20 and he said because I like it and it was a gift.

We read it outloud to eachother every year.


A Bargain for Frances has always been a favorite of mine its so cute.
I love the art style of this book.I recently replaced my old copy I found one for a 1.00 at a flea market and I read it out loud to Josh and he loved it.
If you have the time you should read about Russell and Lillan Hoban they are interesting but kind of sad as they split up and the series ended :(


Heres a hard one to find they had them all at the library I went to as a child and I loved them
They are very cute and I always thought the little girl Betsy looked like me.

A favorite of mine by Mercer Mayer the art work is amazing!
I just love it I looked for it to buy for years and years before finding it again and now I have it of course I loaned it to my mom who also loves it and wanted to hold on to it.

One of my favorite pictures from the book :) this inspires me for some of the stuff I do.

No fighting no biting by Maurice Sendak a really great book my mom used to check out and read to me..I used to love to bite everything my toys and my mom.

And of course Nancy Drew I started likeing it when I was about 8 maybe younger I cant really remember I just remember I liked the cover art and I asked my mom if it was any good and she said that it was that she had a wonderful teacher in the fifth grade who read them outloud to the class,so she started reading them to me and she made up voices for all the charactors and Hannah became Hannah Hedgehog because at the time I had a hedgehog named Hannah.
I learned so much from Nancy drew not only was it entertaining but it was educational I cant count how many times that I knew the answer to something and someone said how do you know that and I smiled and said Nancy drew.
A great part of my childhood I still continue to collect them.


The Bobbsey twins are a sweet little series I love the cover art
I wish kids read this type of stuff more.


My brother left these behind when he move and...
I had countless snow days filled with learning fun with Scrooge and Donald and Mickey taught me everything from Diamonds, inventions ,holidays, health, animals, art ,history ,and on and on


Amella Bedella,I feel like her most of the time trying to be helpful but making things worse
I was surprised when my husband didnt know who she was he said Amella who???
how disapointing how can one not know who the wonderful Amella is :)

Now heres one I bet everyone knows Winnie the pooh is one of the sweetest things in the world.
I had the chance to read the history about him awhile back and it made me kind of sad lets just say that Christopher Robin didnt grow up to be a nice man he didnt love his dad who loved him.
and he grew up and turned his back on his toys how can someone do that....

"I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you."


They had this book in my school library when I was in kindergarten
I could look at it all day everyday.

This was another one from my schools library that I loved to look at trust me on days when I was low on friends this book got me through it I could always imagine the carebears there to help me out and give me courage and I didnt feel so alone.

Another book my mom used to read me
This book was so funny it would make me laugh and laugh Mrs Piggle wiggle was clever
This is one I need to find and add to my growing collection..but I really dont have anymore room for book shelves.

This is a book I loved the pictures were great but its Eloise Wilkin and her stuff is always amazing,
I remember my grandparents gave me money when I was 2 or 3 and I saved it and bought a baby doll and named her baby dear I and a few years later I left her at the college my mom was going to we went back the next day but some horrible kids had covered her in horrible graffiti my grandma was able to get most of it off though.





Trixie Belden a really really fun series and it can be hard to find sometimes
but its fun to get into they have great adventures
the kind of adventures kids dont really have now..its not to the tattoo parlor or sneaking into a bar or watching justin bieber its an actual adventure.

Ok this is getting super image heavy so ..................this is part one.

On to part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment