Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Remembering childhood through books2

Alright part 2



Harry the Dirty dog is a really fun book my grandma had it her house so I read it abunch




Another one from Mercer Mayer Little critter
I loved this one I always thought of me and my mom when I read it.

I didnt like it though when little critter grew up...that made me sad.


Miss Nelson is missing one of 6 year old vanessas discoveries at reading time and I love it and still do..The art style is fun and it reminds me of something but I never know what.

Peter pan a great book sad though
I didnt think that Peter pan was going to be a sad book but it really was if you havent read it give it a shot though because its worth it it is beautiful and brings back those magical memories of childhood.
Peter pan has been most of my inspiration for my whole life.. I live by it I refuse to grow up.
Heres an old old favorite The Princess Elizabeth gift book which I discovered in the upstairs of my grammys house my copy is more beat up and has tea stains and coffee stains and highlighter marks ( my mom when she was a girl )
It was published in the 1930s and it was in effort to raise money for The Princess Elizabeth Childrens Hospital,Its full of wonderful stories by  many authors it also had some wonderful stories
The book belonged to my grammy she had it most of her life
she gave it to me when she saw how much I loved it and not wanting it to get torn up by my cousins they can be pretty rough on stuff she told me to keep it

here are some pictures from the book
This one is from the Fairy washer woman its a great but sad story and its my grammys favorite.


Come and change............
One of my favorites it think its beautiful its everything that childhood is and should be

It reads
"All her path is strewn with flowers
round her shine the laughing hours"

The painting is by Frank Salisbury
We all have these days!
where everything just goes wrong and it seems like its never going to end.
I love this book his hair always  makes me smile.
This is one of the cutest little books who doesnt love a bunny!
I cant resist them I have tons of bunny stuff squeakys,figurines,stuffed animals,and when I decide to sew up a stuffed animal what is it I sew always a bunny :)

I had this book when I was a tiny one my mom always said this is you vanessa your fussy about everything even shoes but your so cute that no one cares..
I had forgot about this book for along time until the other day when shoe shopping I hadnt bought a pair of shoes in over 2 years  and I was being fussy we went to like 20 stores back and forth and I wanted red shoes and thats when I remembered this book I finally got a pair of red converse I had to order them because they didnt have my size 5's and then I got sent they wrong pair and had to take those back and order again..this is a book Ill have to buy soon.

Who came first Gus or casper or george? Anyone know?
I think I like Gus the best but they are all so cute and so lonely.
I found these in school in first grade and I loved the dark style of art work cute but dark.

Another book I got from my brother mine has a missing story though..maybe Ill buy a new copy someday and finally learn what happens with the witch..mine cuts off.
A great story with great art work check it out!

I started reading these books in fourth grade and I was hooked!
amazing folk tales Alvin Schwartz just travels around and gets them from people much like the brothers Grimm
I saw my town in the back index for one of the stories and the town I live in now and some near by ones.
Ill never forget the boys pet dog that actually turned out to be a rat with rabies wow.
The art work is chilling and dark I love it!
Its not really scary but its not ..not scary either.




Last but not least my first book my oldest book my most cherished book
Ill never let it go




Thank you for reading this

Id love to hear about some of your favorite books from childhood.





5 comments:

  1. Harry the Dirty Dog was a favorite here, too. I bought a copy to read to my granddaughter when she's old enough. Right now she's too active to listen. And Eloise Wilkin is terrific! I love the old Golden Books she's illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh this was an awesome post and made me really want to do one like it but with my favorite kids books. i also have not been able to get rid of mine either. don't think i ever will... which many people find odd since i never plan to have a child. i just love them and they make me happy! also... and i think this is super funny... but in middle school (and even high school for a bit) i totally used to read these books out loud to my friends over the phone... honestly i'm surprised they put up with my silly wackiness... but that's what friends are for i suppose! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are never to old to read these books they are so wonderful

      I don't plan on kids either.. Im not very responsible and the sounds of screaming babies are like nails on a chalk board

      Ill never grow up :)

      Delete
    2. I'm right there will you on all accounts Vanessa! Plus, the idea of something living inside me is terrifying. I'd be one of those crazy ladies like it's an alien!! get it out get it out!! And then probably go into severe depression... like the moms who have kids and then snap one day and kill 'em. That'd be me. (haha) I just don't have a lot of patience... and I can barely keep my cacti alive!

      Delete
  3. Id probably be a very mean mom..always jumping out and scaring the kids and making them cry..im not just not grown up and boring enough yet.. maybe Ill never be..Also Id be in constant fear that the kid would get into my toy collection and try to claim them

    ReplyDelete